Minds At Play - Minecraft Making friends and having fun, a social group program
Minds at Play recognises the challenges often associated with engaging children, youth and adults with disabilities. Our participants get to have a positive social experience while playing fantasy-based role-playing games, in a safe environment.
This program has been developed to build confidence in a range of social and communication skills. Each player has a specific role, and they work together as a team to build a model while practising other vital skills such as sharing, listening, joint attention and problem-solving.
They’ll have fun, explore their creativity and interact with others in a supported digital environment.
What we’ll work on
- Collaboration – by working as a group to achieve a common goal
- Joint problem solving, sharing and turn-taking – taking turns in different roles, working on the build together
- Maintaining attention – staying focused on the task to build the models
- Verbal and non-verbal communication – using language and text skills to express ideas and feelings
- Creativity – in building the models and free playtime
- Social skills – helping your child make friends, greet others, develop sharing and turn-taking skills.
- Conflict resolution – working through differences for a shared aim
- Emotional development – learning to understand and talk about emotions (their own and other people’s), conflict resolution and problem-solving skills.
- Communication and literacy skills – expanding vocabulary around social and emotional development, increasing literacy skills and language development through peer activities.
School Term Group Program Details
Day: 10 weeks commencing term 1 – The week of 28th January 2022
Time: 2 hours per session
Fee: From $495 + $30 Registration
Please note that sessions are based on the Sydney time zone
Requirements: A computer that can run Minecraft JAVA edition. If you don’t have JAVA edition, you can purchase it through Minds At Play during the sign up process.
You may choose to pay privately for this service, or if you have NDIS funding (Self and Plan Managed) you may use the funding allocated in the following:
Capacity building supports – Improved daily living and/or Improved Social and Community Participation
Core – Daily Activities & Social, Community and Civic Participation
Fill in the form below to sign up to play!